[Csnd] A question on live score events

Gleb
Dear Csounders,

I am trying to send some score lines to Csound in Linux i.e.

gleb@UbuntuPC:~$ echo -e "i1 0 5\r" > /proc/3676/fd/0

so 3676 is PID of my csound running with -L stdin -odac

The lines are appearing and it seems like even return button was pressed but there is no rtevent generated.
Of course, manually when I input that line everything works nice.

Thanks!
Gleb Rogozinsky, PhD
Associated Professor
Interactive Arts Department
Saint-Petersburg University of Film and Television

Deputy Director of Medialab
Saint-Petersburg University of Telecommunications

Re: [Csnd] A question on live score events

Victor Lazzarini
did you try \n instead of \r?

> On 4 Mar 2017, at 12:50, Gleb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Csounders,
>
> I am trying to send some score lines to Csound in Linux i.e.
>
> gleb@UbuntuPC:~$ echo -e "i1 0 5\r" > /proc/3676/fd/0
>
> so 3676 is PID of my csound running with -L stdin -odac
>
> The lines are appearing and it seems like even return button was pressed but
> there is no rtevent generated.
> Of course, manually when I input that line everything works nice.
>
> Thanks!
>

> -----
> Gleb Rogozinsky, PhD
> Associated Professor
> Interactive Arts Department
> Saint-Petersburg University of Film and Television
>
> Deputy Director of Medialab
> Saint-Petersburg University of Telecommunications

Re: [Csnd] A question on live score events

Gleb
Hello, Victor!

Yes, I did. Nor \n either \r worked.
Gleb Rogozinsky, PhD
Associated Professor
Interactive Arts Department
Saint-Petersburg University of Film and Television

Deputy Director of Medialab
Saint-Petersburg University of Telecommunications

Re: [Csnd] A question on live score events

Gleb
John, do you mean was I running Csound with -L stdin ?
In that case, yes, it was.
Gleb Rogozinsky, PhD
Associated Professor
Interactive Arts Department
Saint-Petersburg University of Film and Television

Deputy Director of Medialab
Saint-Petersburg University of Telecommunications

Re: [Csnd] A question on live score events

Gleb
Just in case somebody will be looking for the same, here is the solution

1. create a named pipe
mkfifo csound.fifo

2. keep the csound.fifo open
cat > csound.fifo &

3. run csound with pipe, no need -L stdin
cat csound.fifo | csound test.csd -odac

4. use another term window to send live events
echo "i1 0 5" > csound.fifo

I guess it could be add to some manual regarding stdin and pipes
Gleb Rogozinsky, PhD
Associated Professor
Interactive Arts Department
Saint-Petersburg University of Film and Television

Deputy Director of Medialab
Saint-Petersburg University of Telecommunications

Re: [Csnd] A question on live score events

Victor Lazzarini
I didn’t know you you didn’t need -L to get data off a pipe like that. In the past I have piped commands through -L.

> On 6 Mar 2017, at 10:45, Gleb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just in case somebody will be looking for the same, here is the solution
>
> 1. create a named pipe
> mkfifo csound.fifo
>
> 2. keep the csound.fifo open
> cat > csound.fifo &
>
> 3. run csound with pipe, no need -L stdin
> cat csound.fifo | csound test.csd -odac
>
> 4. use another term window to send live events
> echo "i1 0 5" > csound.fifo
>
> I guess it could be add to some manual regarding stdin and pipes
>

> -----
> Gleb Rogozinsky, PhD
> Associated Professor
> Interactive Arts Department
> Saint-Petersburg University of Film and Television
>
> Deputy Director of Medialab
> Saint-Petersburg University of Telecommunications

Re: [Csnd] A question on live score events

Victor Lazzarini
I just tested it here, and to make it work, I needed to add -L stdin. (OSX)