Quantcast

[Csnd] A New Piece

Arthur Hunkins
Introducing my latest live-performance Csound piece:

DOMINUS DEUS SABAOTH - PC and Android versions

Description, .csd's and demo performances at the top of my recent composition list:

When listening, please observe its note/advisory:
This piece requires excellent headphones or a pair of good speakers. It opens with a barely audible 50Hz sine wave that is meant to be heard. At the same time, toward the end it gets quite loud.

Unlike many of my other works, this one contains a fairly specific performance score (contained in Dominus.txt).

Also, the Android version uses 16 sliders, which require my "enhanced" Android apps (Csound6b.apk or Csound6c.apk). These are downloadable from the Android page on my site.

@Anton K. - I note that we are both enamored with rsplines!

Re: [Csnd] A New Piece

Steven Yi
Hi Art,

Thanks for sharing this!  I had a question about the performance
score: I saw that some sliders are directed to be moved to 0.5, while
others are directed to move to 1.0.  I was wondering if there's any
reason why the programming isn't such that the they all max out to
1.0?  It seems like it'd be easier to move sliders to max as a
performer, but I wasn't sure if there was something I missed and if it
was intended to allow going beyond 0.5 as long as it finished around
0.5 in the end.

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Arthur Hunkins
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Introducing my latest live-performance Csound piece:
>
> DOMINUS DEUS SABAOTH - PC and Android versions
>
> Description, .csd's and demo performances at the top of my recent
> composition list:
> http://www.arthunkins.com
>
> When listening, please observe its note/advisory:
> This piece requires excellent headphones or a pair of good speakers. It
> opens with a barely audible 50Hz sine wave that is meant to be heard. At the
> same time, toward the end it gets quite loud.
>
> Unlike many of my other works, this one contains a fairly specific
> performance score (contained in Dominus.txt).
>
> Also, the Android version uses 16 sliders, which require my "enhanced"
> Android apps (Csound6b.apk or Csound6c.apk). These are downloadable from the
> Android page on my site.
>
> @Anton K. - I note that we are both enamored with rsplines!
>
> Art Hunkins
> http://www.arthunkins.com

Re: [Csnd] A New Piece

Arthur Hunkins
Thanks for taking a look, Steven.

Regarding my slider settings: according to instructions -
For knobs/sliders: Maximum = 1; midway = .5.
There are only three specified knob/slider settings, 0, .5 and 1. All movement is from one to another of these values. All controls have a value of 0-1. (Of course this parallels Android Csound slider range of 0 to 1.)
Is this unclear?
Art Hunkins

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Introducing my latest live-performance Csound piece:
>
> DOMINUS DEUS SABAOTH - PC and Android versions
>
> Description, .csd's and demo performances at the top of my recent
> composition list:
> http://www.arthunkins.com
>
> When listening, please observe its note/advisory:
> This piece requires excellent headphones or a pair of good speakers. It
> opens with a barely audible 50Hz sine wave that is meant to be heard. At the
> same time, toward the end it gets quite loud.
>
> Unlike many of my other works, this one contains a fairly specific
> performance score (contained in Dominus.txt).
>
> Also, the Android version uses 16 sliders, which require my "enhanced"
> Android apps (Csound6b.apk or Csound6c.apk). These are downloadable from the
> Android page on my site.
>
> @Anton K. - I note that we are both enamored with rsplines!
>
> Art Hunkins
> http://www.arthunkins.com
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can

Re: [Csnd] A New Piece

AndreaS

Very interesing, Art! Thank you for sharing your csound works.

Every invitation to Csound music is an enhancement.

Charles Darwin discovered that a life strategy for preserve herself is the variation principle.

So, welcome molteplicity!

For my perspective, If this variation principle was also prominent into single composition it would be better.

But it is an evaluation very abstract. The first principle, the core value, is: authenticity (not easy to achieve and to evaluate out of context).

Thanks, to you, to Steven, to Anton, to every Csounder that proposes a new piece.

Andrea S.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Introducing my latest live-performance Csound piece:
>
> DOMINUS DEUS SABAOTH - PC and Android versions
>
> Description, .csd's and demo performances at the top of my recent
> composition list:
> http://www.arthunkins.com
>
> When listening, please observe its note/advisory:
> This piece requires excellent headphones or a pair of good speakers. It
> opens with a barely audible 50Hz sine wave that is meant to be heard. At the
> same time, toward the end it gets quite loud.
>
> Unlike many of my other works, this one contains a fairly specific
> performance score (contained in Dominus.txt).
>
> Also, the Android version uses 16 sliders, which require my "enhanced"
> Android apps (Csound6b.apk or Csound6c.apk). These are downloadable from the
> Android page on my site.
>
> @Anton K. - I note that we are both enamored with rsplines!
>
> Art Hunkins
> http://www.arthunkins.com
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can

Re: [Csnd] A New Piece

Hi Art,

I think that it's not unclear what to do, but my question is more
about why have midways at all when you could program it so the full
range of the knob/slider could be the target.  Seems easier as a
performer to move a knob or slider all the way to 0 or 1 rather than
try to work with just half of the physical range, and that you could
have done the programming to map the full physical range to the target
in-program range.  I was just curious then if there was any particular
reason to have midways be a target.  Does that make it clearer for the
question?

steven

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Arthur Hunkins
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for taking a look, Steven.
>
> Regarding my slider settings: according to instructions -
>
> For knobs/sliders: Maximum = 1; midway = .5.
>
> There are only three specified knob/slider settings, 0, .5 and 1. All
> movement is from one to another of these values. All controls have a value
> of 0-1. (Of course this parallels Android Csound slider range of 0 to 1.)
>
> Is this unclear?
>
> Art Hunkins
>

> Art Hunkins
> http://www.arthunkins.com
>
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Art,
>>
>> Thanks for sharing this!  I had a question about the performance
>> score: I saw that some sliders are directed to be moved to 0.5, while
>> others are directed to move to 1.0.  I was wondering if there's any
>> reason why the programming isn't such that the they all max out to
>> 1.0?  It seems like it'd be easier to move sliders to max as a
>> performer, but I wasn't sure if there was something I missed and if it
>> was intended to allow going beyond 0.5 as long as it finished around
>> 0.5 in the end.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> steven
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Arthur Hunkins
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Introducing my latest live-performance Csound piece:
>> >
>> > DOMINUS DEUS SABAOTH - PC and Android versions
>> >
>> > Description, .csd's and demo performances at the top of my recent
>> > composition list:
>> > http://www.arthunkins.com
>> >
>> > When listening, please observe its note/advisory:
>> > This piece requires excellent headphones or a pair of good speakers. It
>> > opens with a barely audible 50Hz sine wave that is meant to be heard. At
>> > the
>> > same time, toward the end it gets quite loud.
>> >
>> > Unlike many of my other works, this one contains a fairly specific
>> > performance score (contained in Dominus.txt).
>> >
>> > Also, the Android version uses 16 sliders, which require my "enhanced"
>> > Android apps (Csound6b.apk or Csound6c.apk). These are downloadable from
>> > the
>> > Android page on my site.
>> >
>> > @Anton K. - I note that we are both enamored with rsplines!
>> >
>> > Art Hunkins
>> > http://www.arthunkins.com
>> > Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>> > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
>> > can
>> > be posted here

Re: [Csnd] A New Piece

Arthur Hunkins
Steven -

Yes, very clear now.

All controls *do* employ the full 0 to 1 range. Those that use .5 either come from, or eventually go to 1.

Art Hunkins

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for taking a look, Steven.
>
> Regarding my slider settings: according to instructions -
>
> For knobs/sliders: Maximum = 1; midway = .5.
>
> There are only three specified knob/slider settings, 0, .5 and 1. All
> movement is from one to another of these values. All controls have a value
> of 0-1. (Of course this parallels Android Csound slider range of 0 to 1.)
>
> Is this unclear?
>
> Art Hunkins
>

> Art Hunkins
> http://www.arthunkins.com
>
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Art,
>>
>> Thanks for sharing this!  I had a question about the performance
>> score: I saw that some sliders are directed to be moved to 0.5, while
>> others are directed to move to 1.0.  I was wondering if there's any
>> reason why the programming isn't such that the they all max out to
>> 1.0?  It seems like it'd be easier to move sliders to max as a
>> performer, but I wasn't sure if there was something I missed and if it
>> was intended to allow going beyond 0.5 as long as it finished around
>> 0.5 in the end.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> steven
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Arthur Hunkins
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Introducing my latest live-performance Csound piece:
>> >
>> > DOMINUS DEUS SABAOTH - PC and Android versions
>> >
>> > Description, .csd's and demo performances at the top of my recent
>> > composition list:
>> > http://www.arthunkins.com
>> >
>> > When listening, please observe its note/advisory:
>> > This piece requires excellent headphones or a pair of good speakers. It
>> > opens with a barely audible 50Hz sine wave that is meant to be heard. At
>> > the
>> > same time, toward the end it gets quite loud.
>> >
>> > Unlike many of my other works, this one contains a fairly specific
>> > performance score (contained in Dominus.txt).
>> >
>> > Also, the Android version uses 16 sliders, which require my "enhanced"
>> > Android apps (Csound6b.apk or Csound6c.apk). These are downloadable from
>> > the
>> > Android page on my site.
>> >
>> > @Anton K. - I note that we are both enamored with rsplines!
>> >
>> > Art Hunkins
>> > http://www.arthunkins.com
>> > Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>> > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
>> > can
>> > be posted here

>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can

Re: [Csnd] A New Piece

Steven Yi
Interesting, I think the performance score may be a bit confusing for
me then as it mentions "Preset all knobs/sliders to 0." and it lists
sliders going to 1 or .5.  Anyways, it's a minor curiosity.  I used a
similar design to your piece for a live sound work using knobs that
started out at max and ended at 0, allowing some free improvisation of
how to get from beginning to end, but used two knobs per oscillator
(one for frequency and one for amplitude).  It was but an etude that I
never recorded/released and used very simple sounds, but your piece is
inspiring me to revisit that one.

Thanks again!
steven