Copying of projects containing frozen sound files not recommended?

Copying of projects containing frozen sound files not recommended?

Jan Jacob Hofmann
Dear Steven,

my blue now works, still my project partly does not: My frozen Soundobjects somehow get ignored: If I play them, there is no sound (and *no* error message from Csound), if I do unfreeze them, the soundObjects disappear for good.

What I did is just saving the project under a new name and making thus a copy of it.  Maybe this was not right? The frozen soundfiles/SoundObjects still work in the project with the old name.

Ofcourse I can keep on working with the project with the old name, still I’d like to save copies of older version of the piece to have the ability of going back to a previous state of the project. But obviously this is something, one should not do - am I right?

All the best,

Jan Jacob

sound         |         movement         |         object         |        space
sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
spatial electronic composition   |    higher order ambisonic music

Re: Copying of projects containing frozen sound files not recommended?

Steven Yi
Hi Jan Jacob,

I haven't looked at the freezing system deeply in a while. I think I
designed it thinking that the frozen audio files would be 1:1 mapped
to a single project and did not think of this scenario where multiple
projects might refer to the same frozen audio file.  That said, when
you renamed the project, did you also move it to a different folder or
is it in the same folder as the original?  I may need to investigate
further the situation if it is in the same folder.

As a sidenote, for version history, I tend to use Git to make
snapshots of my projects as I develop them.  This allows me to go back
to any version but it keeps the same names for files. I am not sure if
this would be useful to your workflow though.

Cheers!
steven

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Steven,
>
> my blue now works, still my project partly does not: My frozen Soundobjects
> somehow get ignored: If I play them, there is no sound (and *no* error
> message from Csound), if I do unfreeze them, the soundObjects disappear for
> good.
>
> What I did is just saving the project under a new name and making thus a
> copy of it.  Maybe this was not right? The frozen soundfiles/SoundObjects
> still work in the project with the old name.
>
> Ofcourse I can keep on working with the project with the old name, still I’d
> like to save copies of older version of the piece to have the ability of
> going back to a previous state of the project. But obviously this is
> something, one should not do - am I right?
>
> All the best,
>
> Jan Jacob
>

> sound         |         movement         |         object         |
> space
> sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
> spatial electronic composition   |    higher order ambisonic music

Re: Copying of projects containing frozen sound files not recommended?

Jan Jacob Hofmann
Dear Steven,

I can now well imagine that it must lead to major problems, if a project with frozen soundObjects is copied: What happens, if I do unfreeze one SoundObject in the newer copy but leave it in the older copy still frozen - or vice versa? It must be very complicated to keep track of all the soundfiles, references and soundObjects across the projects.
But to answer your question: I kept the copy of the project in the same folder as the origin. And: I am not familiar enough with github yet- but time-machine certainly would do the job aswell - I could use that.