Quantcast

Compiling with MSVC: dirent.h missing

René Nyffenegger
Hello

I am trying to compile csound5 with MSVC. I have checked out the project from source forge today, that is the 22.03.08. It fails with a missing dirent.h:

> frontends\csladspa\csladspa.cpp(25) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'dirent.h': No such file or directory

Although I thought that dirent.h is a standard include file, it IS missing in MSVC's include directory.

Is there something I can do about this?

On a slightly related note: I send this mail using the nabble.com web interface. Some two days ago, I tried to ask a question by sending a mail to csound-devel@lists.sourceforge.net, however, it didn't seem to arrive. So
1) Is this the canonical way to ask questions on this mailing list
2) I hope that this mail gets through.

Regards,
Rene

Re: Compiling with MSVC: dirent.h missing

Victor Lazzarini
It is not, but you can find it in the web.

Victor
> I am trying to compile csound5 with MSVC. I have checked out the project
> from source forge today, that is the 22.03.08. It fails with a missing
> dirent.h:
>
>> frontends\csladspa\csladspa.cpp(25) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open
>> include file: 'dirent.h': No such file or directory
>
> Although I thought that dirent.h is a standard include file, it IS missing
> in MSVC's include directory.
>
> Is there something I can do about this?
>
> On a slightly related note: I send this mail using the nabble.com web
> interface. Some two days ago, I tried to ask a question by sending a mail
> [hidden email], however, it didn't seem to arrive. So
> 1) Is this the canonical way to ask questions on this mailing list
> 2) I hope that this mail gets through.
>
> Regards,
> Rene

Re: Compiling with MSVC: dirent.h missing

Victor Lazzarini
Here it is:

http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/dirent.zip

Victor
It is not, but you can find it in the web.

Victor
> I am trying to compile csound5 with MSVC. I have checked out the project
> from source forge today, that is the 22.03.08. It fails with a missing
> dirent.h:
>
>> frontends\csladspa\csladspa.cpp(25) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open
>> include file: 'dirent.h': No such file or directory
>
> Although I thought that dirent.h is a standard include file, it IS missing
> in MSVC's include directory.
>
> Is there something I can do about this?
>
> On a slightly related note: I send this mail using the nabble.com web
> interface. Some two days ago, I tried to ask a question by sending a mail
> [hidden email], however, it didn't seem to arrive. So
> 1) Is this the canonical way to ask questions on this mailing list
> 2) I hope that this mail gets through.
>
> Regards,
> Rene

Re: Compiling with MSVC: dirent.h missing

The build instructions in the current Csound reference manual include instructions on how to obtain this file. It is not part of the Microsoft header or libraries.

>I am trying to compile csound5 with MSVC. I have checked out the project
>from source forge today, that is the 22.03.08. It fails with a missing
>dirent.h:
>
>> frontends\csladspa\csladspa.cpp(25) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open
>> include file: 'dirent.h': No such file or directory
>
>Although I thought that dirent.h is a standard include file, it IS missing
>in MSVC's include directory.
>
>Is there something I can do about this?
>
>On a slightly related note: I send this mail using the nabble.com web
>interface. Some two days ago, I tried to ask a question by sending a mail to
>[hidden email], however, it didn't seem to arrive. So
>1) Is this the canonical way to ask questions on this mailing list
>2) I hope that this mail gets through.
>
>Regards,
>Rene

Re: Compiling with MSVC: dirent.h missing

René Nyffenegger
Hello

Using google, I can only find these build instructions for Csound:
http://www.csounds.com/manual/html/BuildingCsound.html
However, I don't find any mention of dirent.h in there.
Where would I find the manual that you had in mind.

Regards,
Rene

> The build instructions in the current Csound reference manual include instructions on how to obtain
> It is not part of the Microsoft header or libraries.

Re: Compiling with MSVC: dirent.h missing

René Nyffenegger
Hello Victor

Thanks for the link. It seems to compile now.
However, I had to insert/change this line into custom-msvc.py:
  customLIBS = ['dirent.lib']
in order for the linker to succeed.

Since I am completely unfamiliar with the scons build system: is
this the correct way to do that.

And, it seems to me, since dirent.h/lib is always missing in msvc,
shouldn't that line have the dirent.lib in the distribution already.

Regards,
Rene