Quantcast

Blue program not launching

Erik
Hello

When I try to run blue, the program hangs in the splash screen, with the message:
  Turning on modules...done.

When I try to launch from a console window, the last output is:

I'm using the latest version of CSound (6.01.0) and blue (2.5.3), on Win7 64-bit.
Java version 1.7.0_45 (b18).

I probably need to set some configuration paths and/or environment variables, but I failed to find the necessary information.

If anyone could help me out, it would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards
Erik

Re: Blue program not launching

Jan Jacob Hofmann
Dear list,

i have got similar problems here on OS X 10.6.8 here since I updated to the latest version of blue today. After starting the new Version it asked for Java 1.7. So I installed it but blue still won't start. Strangely Java 1.7 is not visible/available in my system, though I just installed it.

All the best,

Jan Jacob

sound         |         movement          |          object         |          space
sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
spatial electronic composition  |  higher order ambisonic music

Am 24.10.2013 um 13:53 schrieb Erik:

> Hello
>
> When I try to run blue, the program hangs in the splash screen, with the
> message:
>  Turning on modules...done.
>
> When I try to launch from a console window, the last output is:
>
> I'm using the latest version of CSound (6.01.0) and blue (2.5.3), on Win7
> 64-bit.
> Java version 1.7.0_45 (b18).
>
> I probably need to set some configuration paths and/or environment
> variables, but I failed to find the necessary information.
>
> If anyone could help me out, it would be very much appreciated.
>
> Kind regards
> Erik

Re: Blue program not launching

Hi Erik,

This may be a bug that's come up here on the list a few times.  If you
had Blue installed previously, the upgrade looks like it is hosing
configuration data.  You can turn off Blue, delete the folder, then
start Blue.  I think on Windows, it is in
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\blue.  You will have to
reconfigure Blue after removing this.

Please try that and let me know if you're continuing to have issues.

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Erik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> When I try to run blue, the program hangs in the splash screen, with the
> message:
>   Turning on modules...done.
>
> When I try to launch from a console window, the last output is:
>
> I'm using the latest version of CSound (6.01.0) and blue (2.5.3), on Win7
> 64-bit.
> Java version 1.7.0_45 (b18).
>
> I probably need to set some configuration paths and/or environment
> variables, but I failed to find the necessary information.
>
> If anyone could help me out, it would be very much appreciated.
>
> Kind regards
> Erik

Re: Blue program not launching

Hi Jan Jacob,

Try this:

1. On command prompt use:

rm -r ~/Library/Applications\ Support/blue

Then try running Blue.  If that doesn't work, try installed the JDK
(Java Developer Kit) and not the JRE (Java Runtime Environment).

Email back here if you have further issues!
steven

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> i have got similar problems here on OS X 10.6.8 here since I updated to the latest version of blue today. After starting the new Version it asked for Java 1.7. So I installed it but blue still won't start. Strangely Java 1.7 is not visible/available in my system, though I just installed it.
>
> All the best,
>
> Jan Jacob
>

> sound         |         movement          |          object         |          space
> sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
> spatial electronic composition  |  higher order ambisonic music
>
> Am 24.10.2013 um 13:53 schrieb Erik:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> When I try to run blue, the program hangs in the splash screen, with the
>> message:
>>  Turning on modules...done.
>>
>> When I try to launch from a console window, the last output is:
>>
>> I'm using the latest version of CSound (6.01.0) and blue (2.5.3), on Win7
>> 64-bit.
>> Java version 1.7.0_45 (b18).
>>
>> I probably need to set some configuration paths and/or environment
>> variables, but I failed to find the necessary information.
>>
>> If anyone could help me out, it would be very much appreciated.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Erik

Re: Blue program not launching

Erik
Hello Steven

Your solution works perfectly, Blue launches and works fine now!

Many thanks for your very fast response!

Kind regards
Erik

Re: Blue program not launching

Jan Jacob Hofmann
Dear Steven,

I tried it but got this in return:

jan-jacob-hofmanns-power-mac-g5-5:~ janjacobhofmann$ rm -r ~/Library/Applications\ Support/blue
rm: /Users/janjacobhofmann/Library/Applications Support/blue: No such file or directory

I wonder if the backslash in the prompt-line is the reason: the answer of terminal does not contain the backslash anymore.

All the best,

Jan Jacob

Am 24.10.2013 um 15:43 schrieb Steven Yi:

> Hi Jan Jacob,
>
> Try this:
>
> 1. On command prompt use:
>
> rm -r ~/Library/Applications\ Support/blue
>
> Then try running Blue.  If that doesn't work, try installed the JDK
> (Java Developer Kit) and not the JRE (Java Runtime Environment).
>
> Email back here if you have further issues!
> steven
>
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> i have got similar problems here on OS X 10.6.8 here since I updated to the latest version of blue today. After starting the new Version it asked for Java 1.7. So I installed it but blue still won't start. Strangely Java 1.7 is not visible/available in my system, though I just installed it.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Jan Jacob
>>

>> sound         |         movement          |          object         |          space
>> sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
>> spatial electronic composition  |  higher order ambisonic music
>>
>> Am 24.10.2013 um 13:53 schrieb Erik:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> When I try to run blue, the program hangs in the splash screen, with the
>>> message:
>>> Turning on modules...done.
>>>
>>> When I try to launch from a console window, the last output is:
>>>
>>> I'm using the latest version of CSound (6.01.0) and blue (2.5.3), on Win7
>>> 64-bit.
>>> Java version 1.7.0_45 (b18).
>>>
>>> I probably need to set some configuration paths and/or environment
>>> variables, but I failed to find the necessary information.
>>>
>>> If anyone could help me out, it would be very much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Erik

Re: Blue program not launching

Jan Jacob Hofmann
Dear Steven,

did I do everything right with the command-line (see below) and shall
I now try to install the JDK as you suggested?

All the best,

Jan Jacob

sound         |         movement          |          object
|          space
sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
spatial electronic composition  |  higher order ambisonic music

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

> Von: Jan Jacob Hofmann <[hidden email]>
> Datum: 26. Oktober 2013 12:17:19 MESZ
> An: blue users mailing list <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [Bluemusic-users] Blue program not launching
>
> Dear Steven,
>
> I tried it but got this in return:
>
> jan-jacob-hofmanns-power-mac-g5-5:~ janjacobhofmann$ rm -r ~/Library/
> Applications\ Support/blue
> rm: /Users/janjacobhofmann/Library/Applications Support/blue: No
> such file or directory
>
> I wonder if the backslash in the prompt-line is the reason: the
> answer of terminal does not contain the backslash anymore.
>
> All the best,
>
> Jan Jacob
>
> Am 24.10.2013 um 15:43 schrieb Steven Yi:
>
>> Hi Jan Jacob,
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> 1. On command prompt use:
>>
>> rm -r ~/Library/Applications\ Support/blue
>>
>> Then try running Blue.  If that doesn't work, try installed the JDK
>> (Java Developer Kit) and not the JRE (Java Runtime Environment).
>>
>> Email back here if you have further issues!
>> steven
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> i have got similar problems here on OS X 10.6.8 here since I
>>> updated to the latest version of blue today. After starting the
>>> new Version it asked for Java 1.7. So I installed it but blue
>>> still won't start. Strangely Java 1.7 is not visible/available in
>>> my system, though I just installed it.
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>>
>>> Jan Jacob
>>>

>>> sound         |         movement          |
>>> object         |          space
>>> sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
>>> spatial electronic composition  |  higher order ambisonic music

>>> October Webinars: Code for Performance
>>> Free Intel webinars can help you accelerate application performance.
>>> Explore tips for MPI, OpenMP, advanced profiling, and more. Get
>>> the most from
>>> the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and
>>> register >
>>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60135991&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

>> October Webinars: Code for Performance
>> Free Intel webinars can help you accelerate application performance.
>> Explore tips for MPI, OpenMP, advanced profiling, and more. Get the
>> most from
>> the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and
>> register >
>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60135991&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: Blue program not launching

Dear Jan Jacob,

My apologies!  The conference threw me off and this email slipped by.
The command you issued is almost correct, but has an extra 's' in
there:

rm -r ~/Library/Applications\ Support/blue

should be:

rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/blue

Please try that and let me know how that goes.

steven

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 6:17 AM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Steven,
>
> I tried it but got this in return:
>
> jan-jacob-hofmanns-power-mac-g5-5:~ janjacobhofmann$ rm -r ~/Library/Applications\ Support/blue
> rm: /Users/janjacobhofmann/Library/Applications Support/blue: No such file or directory
>
> I wonder if the backslash in the prompt-line is the reason: the answer of terminal does not contain the backslash anymore.
>
> All the best,
>
> Jan Jacob
>
> Am 24.10.2013 um 15:43 schrieb Steven Yi:
>
>> Hi Jan Jacob,
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> 1. On command prompt use:
>>
>> rm -r ~/Library/Applications\ Support/blue
>>
>> Then try running Blue.  If that doesn't work, try installed the JDK
>> (Java Developer Kit) and not the JRE (Java Runtime Environment).
>>
>> Email back here if you have further issues!
>> steven
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> i have got similar problems here on OS X 10.6.8 here since I updated to the latest version of blue today. After starting the new Version it asked for Java 1.7. So I installed it but blue still won't start. Strangely Java 1.7 is not visible/available in my system, though I just installed it.
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>>
>>> Jan Jacob
>>>

>>> sound         |         movement          |          object         |          space
>>> sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
>>> spatial electronic composition  |  higher order ambisonic music

Re: Blue program not launching

Jan Jacob Hofmann
Dear Steven,

thanks a lot! This command line brought the ability to run blue properly back onto my MacPro. However I can still not run versions beyond 2.50. Beeing on OSX 10.6.8 -  should I try to install JDK then...or just wait for an update of Java for this system?

All the best,

Jan Jacob

Am 02.11.2013 um 19:11 schrieb Steven Yi:

> Dear Jan Jacob,
>
> My apologies!  The conference threw me off and this email slipped by.
> The command you issued is almost correct, but has an extra 's' in
> there:
>
> rm -r ~/Library/Applications\ Support/blue
>
> should be:
>
> rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/blue
>
> Please try that and let me know how that goes.
>
> steven
>
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 6:17 AM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear Steven,
>>
>> I tried it but got this in return:
>>
>> jan-jacob-hofmanns-power-mac-g5-5:~ janjacobhofmann$ rm -r ~/Library/Applications\ Support/blue
>> rm: /Users/janjacobhofmann/Library/Applications Support/blue: No such file or directory
>>
>> I wonder if the backslash in the prompt-line is the reason: the answer of terminal does not contain the backslash anymore.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Jan Jacob
>>
>> Am 24.10.2013 um 15:43 schrieb Steven Yi:
>>
>>> Hi Jan Jacob,
>>>
>>> Try this:
>>>
>>> 1. On command prompt use:
>>>
>>> rm -r ~/Library/Applications\ Support/blue
>>>
>>> Then try running Blue.  If that doesn't work, try installed the JDK
>>> (Java Developer Kit) and not the JRE (Java Runtime Environment).
>>>
>>> Email back here if you have further issues!
>>> steven

Re: Blue program not launching

Steven Yi
Hi Jan Jacob,

Apple no longer distributes Java.  Blue also requires Java 7 now.  You
will need to install Oracle JDK 7 from http://java.oracle.com.  After
that, it should hopefully "just work".  If you have the Java
Preferences application, you might need to make sure Java 7 has
priority over 6, but that might not be necessary.

Please install JDK 7 (and not JRE) and let me know if you run into
further issues.

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Steven,
>
> thanks a lot! This command line brought the ability to run blue properly back onto my MacPro. However I can still not run versions beyond 2.50. Beeing on OSX 10.6.8 -  should I try to install JDK then...or just wait for an update of Java for this system?
>
> All the best,
>
> Jan Jacob
>

> Am 02.11.2013 um 19:11 schrieb Steven Yi:
>
>> Dear Jan Jacob,
>>
>> My apologies!  The conference threw me off and this email slipped by.
>> The command you issued is almost correct, but has an extra 's' in
>> there:
>>
>> rm -r ~/Library/Applications\ Support/blue
>>
>> should be:
>>
>> rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/blue
>>
>> Please try that and let me know how that goes.
>>
>> steven
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 6:17 AM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dear Steven,
>>>
>>> I tried it but got this in return:
>>>
>>> jan-jacob-hofmanns-power-mac-g5-5:~ janjacobhofmann$ rm -r ~/Library/Applications\ Support/blue
>>> rm: /Users/janjacobhofmann/Library/Applications Support/blue: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> I wonder if the backslash in the prompt-line is the reason: the answer of terminal does not contain the backslash anymore.
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>>
>>> Jan Jacob

Re: Blue program not launching

Jan Jacob Hofmann
Dear Steven,

the latest release of JDK will not run on OSX 10.6.8., it needs 10.7.3 or higher. Is there an older Version of JDK that might do the job?

All the best,

Jan Jacob

Am 03.11.2013 um 01:13 schrieb Steven Yi:

> Hi Jan Jacob,
>
> Apple no longer distributes Java.  Blue also requires Java 7 now.  You
> will need to install Oracle JDK 7 from http://java.oracle.com.  After
> that, it should hopefully "just work".  If you have the Java
> Preferences application, you might need to make sure Java 7 has
> priority over 6, but that might not be necessary.
>
> Please install JDK 7 (and not JRE) and let me know if you run into
> further issues.
>
> Thanks!
> steven
>
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear Steven,
>>
>> thanks a lot! This command line brought the ability to run blue properly back onto my MacPro. However I can still not run versions beyond 2.50. Beeing on OSX 10.6.8 -  should I try to install JDK then...or just wait for an update of Java for this system?
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Jan Jacob
>>

>> Am 02.11.2013 um 19:11 schrieb Steven Yi:
>>
>>> Dear Jan Jacob,
>>>
>>> My apologies!  The conference threw me off and this email slipped by.
>>> The command you issued is almost correct, but has an extra 's' in
>>> there:
>>>
>>> rm -r ~/Library/Applications\ Support/blue
>>>
>>> should be:
>>>
>>> rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/blue
>>>
>>> Please try that and let me know how that goes.
>>>
>>> steven

Fwd: Blue program not launching

Jan Jacob Hofmann
Dear Steven,

I do wonder if there is no other way but updating my OS at least to OSX 10.7.3 to follow the recent updates of blue?

All the best,

Jan Jacob

sound         |         movement          |          object         |          space
sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
spatial electronic composition  |  higher order ambisonic music

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

> Von: Jan Jacob Hofmann <[hidden email]>
> Datum: 3. November 2013 19:28:41 MEZ
> An: blue users mailing list <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [Bluemusic-users] Blue program not launching
>
> Dear Steven,
>
> the latest release of JDK will not run on OSX 10.6.8., it needs 10.7.3 or higher. Is there an older Version of JDK that might do the job?
>
> All the best,
>
> Jan Jacob
>

> Am 03.11.2013 um 01:13 schrieb Steven Yi:
>
>> Hi Jan Jacob,
>>
>> Apple no longer distributes Java.  Blue also requires Java 7 now.  You
>> will need to install Oracle JDK 7 from http://java.oracle.com.  After
>> that, it should hopefully "just work".  If you have the Java
>> Preferences application, you might need to make sure Java 7 has
>> priority over 6, but that might not be necessary.
>>
>> Please install JDK 7 (and not JRE) and let me know if you run into
>> further issues.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> steven
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dear Steven,
>>>
>>> thanks a lot! This command line brought the ability to run blue properly back onto my MacPro. However I can still not run versions beyond 2.50. Beeing on OSX 10.6.8 -  should I try to install JDK then...or just wait for an update of Java for this system?
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>>
>>> Jan Jacob

Re: Fwd: Blue program not launching

Steven Yi
Hi Jan Jacob,

Apologies for the delay!  I took a look just now for information and
it appears that really 10.7.3 is a requirement for Java 7. It appears
that in the past people had compiled unofficial builds for 10.6, but I
did not find any builds now and probably wouldn't recommend to use
them.

This is a bit of a shame, but at the same time I think I could not
prevent it as the platform I use for building Blue had moved forward
to Java 7.  I know the upgrade to 10.9 is now free for everyone using
10.6-10.8, but that is an awful lot to change for one program.

I wish there was a better solution, but unfortunately I do not see any
possibility but to upgrade the operating system.

Apologies!
steven

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 6:23 AM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Steven,
>
> I do wonder if there is no other way but updating my OS at least to OSX 10.7.3 to follow the recent updates of blue?
>
> All the best,
>
> Jan Jacob
>

> sound         |         movement          |          object         |          space
> sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
> spatial electronic composition  |  higher order ambisonic music
>
> Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:
>
>> Von: Jan Jacob Hofmann <[hidden email]>
>> Datum: 3. November 2013 19:28:41 MEZ
>> An: blue users mailing list <[hidden email]>
>> Betreff: Re: [Bluemusic-users] Blue program not launching
>>
>> Dear Steven,
>>
>> the latest release of JDK will not run on OSX 10.6.8., it needs 10.7.3 or higher. Is there an older Version of JDK that might do the job?
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Jan Jacob
>>

>> Am 03.11.2013 um 01:13 schrieb Steven Yi:
>>
>>> Hi Jan Jacob,
>>>
>>> Apple no longer distributes Java.  Blue also requires Java 7 now.  You
>>> will need to install Oracle JDK 7 from http://java.oracle.com.  After
>>> that, it should hopefully "just work".  If you have the Java
>>> Preferences application, you might need to make sure Java 7 has
>>> priority over 6, but that might not be necessary.
>>>
>>> Please install JDK 7 (and not JRE) and let me know if you run into
>>> further issues.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> steven

Re: Fwd: Blue program not launching

Jan Jacob Hofmann
Dear Steven,

thanks a lot for investigating on this! Please do not worry, Steven.
Its not you that has to apologize but rather Apple for not including
the latest Java on their older OS. Maybe its also my fault for
insisting using Apple computers for my work. I still do not know how
to deal with that situation as simply upgrading the OS will probably
cause other hard/software not to run anymore on my computer. That is
why I am always so reluctant in upgrading. I could fancy to have
different OS on different harddisks on my computer though. Let's see...

All the best,

Jan Jacob

sound         |         movement          |          object

orebronerd
Some more questions about Blue: I have used it some years ago, and really like the program. When I try to run it now, I have problems, both on Mac osX 10.8 and Windows 7 64-bit. First it didn´t start at all, but I read about installing JDK, and then I can make it start on both machines. Some of the examples work, some I get error messages. The big problem though, is that I can´t open the SoundObject editor. Nothing happens when I try to open an object. I get a small warning down in the right corner saying "Java.lang.nullpointerexeption" if this means anything to you. Any ideas? I really would like it to work, since it´s a very nice program. I have tried to change language in the OS from Swedish to English, but it doesn´t help. (I know that this shouldn´t matter, but on rare occasions I have had trouble with this.)

Re: Fwd: Blue program not launching

Steven Yi
Hi Martin,

I'm wondering if this is related to the upgrade issues that have been
reported.  Could you try turning off blue, then issuing this command
on OSX on a Terminal prompt:

rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/blue

then starting Blue again?  If that works for OSX, then we can do the
same for Windows (though I don't know the exact path for Windows off
the top of my head).

If that doesn't help, then I'll need to know:

1. Version of Blue
2. Were you using an example project or just trying to edit a new SoundObject?
3. NullPointerExceptions make sense, but I would need to know the
complete stack trace to further assist.  This usually can be
copy/pasted from the error popup, or it may be printed in the "Blue
Application Log", accessible from the View menu.

Thanks and hope we can figure this out soon!
steven

orebronerd
That made it work on OSX. (Now upgraded to 10.9) Any suggestions on how to make it work on Windows?

Re: Fwd: Blue program not launching

Steven Yi
I just took a look. At least on Windows 7, you should go into your
home folder, then AppData, Roaming, then delete .blue folder.  For me,
hat would be the c:\Users\steven\AppData\Roaming\.blue directory.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 1:29 PM, orebronerd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That made it work on OSX. (Now upgraded to 10.9) Any suggestions on how to
> make it work on Windows?

Re: Fwd: Blue program not launching

orebronerd
That worked fine for Windows too. Thank you.