Quantcast

Blue cannot run csound

zappfinger
Hello,

I get the following error:
[error] - Cannot run program "csound": error=2, No such file or directory

csound can be run from the terminal, so it seems it can be found systemwide?

OS X 10.5.8
latest Blue version

regards,
Richard

Re: Blue cannot run csound

Jan Jacob Hofmann
Dear richard,

have you tried to set the full path for the csound executable options
settings?
   Like this for example:

/usr/local/bin/csound64

Best,

Jan Jacob

sound         |         movement          |          object
|          space
sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
spatial electronic composition     |    2nd order ambisonic music

Am 28.03.2011 um 19:54 schrieb zappfinger:

> Hello,
>
> I get the following error:
> [error] - Cannot run program "csound": error=2, No such file or
> directory
>
> csound can be run from the terminal, so it seems it can be found
> systemwide?
>
> OS X 10.5.8
> latest Blue version
>
> regards,
> Richard

Re: Blue cannot run csound

zappfinger
Dear Jan Jakob,

That seems to get rid of the error message.
But I hear no sound when I push the 'test' button on the instrument or do the same on a score.

BTW, I am following the 'You first project' tutorial in the manual...

regards,
Richard

Re: Blue cannot run csound

Steven Yi
Did you try the play button?  The test button is usually for seeing
what your generated instrument or score text will be.

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM, zappfinger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Jan Jakob,
>
> That seems to get rid of the error message.
> But I hear no sound when I push the 'test' button on the instrument or do
> the same on a score.
>
> BTW, I am following the 'You first project' tutorial in the manual...
>
> regards,
> Richard

Re: Blue cannot run csound

zappfinger
Ok, I got sound now, but no realtime midi playing.

Selected my midi devices, enabled midi in on 2 locations and have the 'midi input' and 'blueLive' button turned on.

regards,
Richard

Re: Blue cannot run csound

Steven Yi
Hi Richard,

Are you trying to use blue's MIDI input or Csound's MIDI input?  The
first route MIDI to blue then blue converts into note statements.  If
that is working correctly, when you turn on MIDI Input on the main
tool bar and then turn on blueLive and start playing your keyboard,
you should see realtime notes being created in the Output window.  The
second, using Csound's MIDI input, means you would bypass blue
altogether and just create a Csound MIDI project as you normally
would.

Could you elaborate a little bit on what you're trying to do?

This is all a little complicated to explain, so worst case I can try
putting up a video describing the differences.

steven

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 4:39 PM, zappfinger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, I got sound now, but no realtime midi playing.
>
> Selected my midi devices, enabled midi in on 2 locations and have the 'midi
> input' and 'blueLive' button turned on.
>
> regards,
> Richard

Re: Blue cannot run csound

zappfinger
Not sure what I am using. Where can I set that? It seems blue midi is more easy to start with, since I am rather new to csound.

BTW, I do see events coming in on my output window, but somehow the instrument is not triggered.
(it is the simple sine wave with envelope)

Richard

Re: Blue cannot run csound

Steven Yi
Hi Richard,

Can you post your project here?  Maybe it'll be easier for me to
diagnose if I can try the project.  (Or you can email it to me off
list).

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 5:23 PM, zappfinger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not sure what I am using. Where can I set that? It seems blue midi is more
> easy to start with, since I am rather new to csound.
>
> BTW, I do see events coming in on my output window, but somehow the
> instrument is not triggered.
> (it is the simple sine wave with envelope)
>
> Richard

Re: Blue cannot run csound

zappfinger
Steven, here's my project.
Hope you can see here why midi is not working.

Richardmyfirst.blue

Re: Blue cannot run csound

Steven Yi
Hi Richard,

The project you sent is pretty basic and isn't really setup for midi
input.  To start, the instrument in the orch only uses p3.  In
general, for MIDI input, I tend to use a 5 p-field note for
instruments, where p4 is incoming pitch or midi note num (0-127), and
p5 is incoming amp or midi amp num (0-127). Also, you have MIDI input
set in the project settings which are to enable csound's use of MIDI
input, but then you also discussed setting MIDI Input to on on the
tool bar which is used for blue's MIDI.  They're meant somewhat to be
used exclusively of each other.

It's getting pretty late here for me but I'll try to elaborate further tomorrow.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM, zappfinger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steven, here's my project.
> Hope you can see here why midi is not working.
>
> Richard http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/n4270115/myfirst.blue
> myfirst.blue

Re: Blue cannot run csound

zappfinger
Hi Steven,

I changed the instrument as follows:

kenv linen p5*1000,1,p3,1
asig oscil kenv, p4, gitab
outs asig,asig

Still no luck.
This is some of the output:

  rtevent:           T 51.455 TT 51.455 M:      0.0      0.0
  rtevent:           T 51.907 TT 51.907 M:      0.0      0.0
  rtevent:           T 52.547 TT 52.547 M:      0.0      0.0
WARNING: MIDI note overlaps with key 67 on same channel
new alloc for instr 1:
  rtevent:           T 52.879 TT 52.879 M:      0.0      0.0
  rtevent:           T 52.879 TT 52.879 M:      0.0      0.0
  rtevent:           T 53.127 TT 53.127 M:      0.0      0.0

Why are the last 2 parameters always 0? What should they represent? I searched the Blue and csound manuals...

I did manage to get midi working in QuteCsound, but that program crashes too often.

regards,
Richard

Re: Blue cannot run csound

Steven Yi
Hi Richard,

The values that you see for 0.0 are the amplitude at that moment the
note starts.  I think the problem is that when a note is started by
midi, p3 is a negative value and there is technically no duration.  I
did a little test and did this with your project:

1. Change the instrument code to:

ipch = (p4 < 20) ? cpspch(p4) : p4
iamp = p5

kenv linsegr 0, .5, iamp, .5, 1
asig oscil kenv, ipch, gitab
outs asig,asig

2. Turn off MIDI Input and Output in the project settings for Realtime
Render Settings (these are using Csound's MIDI system)

3. Open up the MIDIInputPanel (accessible from the Window menu).  Set
the Key Mapping to "Tuning - CPS" and set the Velocity Mapping to
"Amp".

4. Turn on MIDI Input and blueLive in the tool bar.  You should now be
able to play the instrument with your MIDI Keyboard.

You should also be able to use this from your score by writing a note like:

i1 0 2 8.00 10000

Give that a try and let me know if you need further help!

steven

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 3:55 PM, zappfinger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> I changed the instrument as follows:
>
> kenv linen p5*1000,1,p3,1
> asig oscil kenv, p4, gitab
> outs asig,asig
>
> Still no luck.
> This is some of the output:
>
>  rtevent:           T 51.455 TT 51.455 M:      0.0      0.0
>  rtevent:           T 51.907 TT 51.907 M:      0.0      0.0
>  rtevent:           T 52.547 TT 52.547 M:      0.0      0.0
> WARNING: MIDI note overlaps with key 67 on same channel
> new alloc for instr 1:
>  rtevent:           T 52.879 TT 52.879 M:      0.0      0.0
>  rtevent:           T 52.879 TT 52.879 M:      0.0      0.0
>  rtevent:           T 53.127 TT 53.127 M:      0.0      0.0
>
> Why are the last 2 parameters always 0? What should they represent? I
> searched the Blue and csound manuals...
>
> I did manage to get midi working in QuteCsound, but that program crashes too
> often.
>
> regards,
> Richard

Re: Blue cannot run csound

zappfinger
Steven,

Using your instrument I only get one frequency and loudness.
I printed p4 and p5, and they are 8.000 and 10000.000 no matter what key or what velocity.

Apparently I have to turn on midi in and out in the other 'Real Time Render' tab (Project Properties)
to get any midi working. This is very confusing, I mean tabs with the same name but with a different function. I also mentioned this earlier in another thread about the Global Score tab for the instrument while there also exists a global "Global Score' tab...

Ok, after saving and loading the project again I do get different frequencies and velocities, so it starts to work for me.

thanks,
Richard