Blue GUI blank on launch

Zoë Sparks
Hello,

I'm trying to run Blue for the first time, and having a strange
issue. When I launch it, it seems to start up fine, without error
messages and so on, but once it finishes the start up process, it
just brings up a big empty dark blue window. All of the GUI
elements I would expect to see are missing, as far as I can tell.

I'm running Arch Linux with kernel v. 4.9.8, xmonad as my window
manager, Java 8, and the latest version of Blue (2.6.1) from the
GitHub repo.

Does anyone here have a sense of what might be going on?

Thanks and best wishes,
Zoë

Re: Blue GUI blank on launch

Steven Yi
Hi Zoe,

One thing to check is what version of Java 8 you are using.  If you
are using OpenJDK, you might want to check if JavaFX is installed. I
haven't checked out Arch in a long time, but other distros seem to
package JavaFX as a separate package from the OpenJDK core.

Otherwise, I seem to remember some issues with XMonad and Java. I did
a quick search and found:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30742662/java-swing-gui-not-displaying-in-xmonad
https://wiki.haskell.org/Xmonad/Frequently_asked_questions#Problems_with_Java_applications.2C_Applet_java_console

Hope that helps!
steven

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 2:08 AM, Zoë Sparks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to run Blue for the first time, and having a strange
> issue. When I launch it, it seems to start up fine, without error
> messages and so on, but once it finishes the start up process, it
> just brings up a big empty dark blue window. All of the GUI
> elements I would expect to see are missing, as far as I can tell.
>
> I'm running Arch Linux with kernel v. 4.9.8, xmonad as my window
> manager, Java 8, and the latest version of Blue (2.6.1) from the
> GitHub repo.
>
> Does anyone here have a sense of what might be going on?
>
> Thanks and best wishes,
> Zoë

Re: Blue GUI blank on launch

Zoë Sparks
Hi Steven,

Thanks so much, that fixed my issue! I installed JavaFX and set
the _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING environment variable as
suggested, and Blue seems to be working fine now. Sorry I didn't
think to look into that—I kind of figured my window manager
wouldn't be the issue, so I feel a bit silly. :p

I'm excited to sink my teeth into Blue!

Best,
Zoë

Excerpts from Steven Yi's message of 2017-02-09 14:15:48 -0500:

> Hi Zoe,
>
> One thing to check is what version of Java 8 you are using.  If you
> are using OpenJDK, you might want to check if JavaFX is installed. I
> haven't checked out Arch in a long time, but other distros seem to
> package JavaFX as a separate package from the OpenJDK core.
>
> Otherwise, I seem to remember some issues with XMonad and Java. I did
> a quick search and found:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30742662/java-swing-gui-not-displaying-in-xmonad
> https://wiki.haskell.org/Xmonad/Frequently_asked_questions#Problems_with_Java_applications.2C_Applet_java_console
>
> Hope that helps!
> steven
>
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 2:08 AM, Zoë Sparks <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to run Blue for the first time, and having a strange
> > issue. When I launch it, it seems to start up fine, without error
> > messages and so on, but once it finishes the start up process, it
> > just brings up a big empty dark blue window. All of the GUI
> > elements I would expect to see are missing, as far as I can tell.
> >
> > I'm running Arch Linux with kernel v. 4.9.8, xmonad as my window
> > manager, Java 8, and the latest version of Blue (2.6.1) from the
> > GitHub repo.
> >
> > Does anyone here have a sense of what might be going on?
> >
> > Thanks and best wishes,
> > Zoë

Re: Blue GUI blank on launch

Steven Yi
No worries, very glad that's sorted.  Enjoy!

steven