Beginner's luck

Peter Kryszkiewicz
Since there seems to be a lot of encouragement to beginners on this
list, I've  lost my fear of appearing dumb and lazy ( lazy by not taking
the time to wade through miles of old posts for the answers to questions
that may have already been answered) and would like to ask a couple
question I haven't found a satisfactory answer to yet:

 - What is this mysterious 'zak space' specifically useful for?
 - why use zak space rather than just ordinary global variables?

By just reading the first chapter of The Csound Book online, I've
already put together a composition I'm quite proud of, but it's more
beginner's luck than science. I now sense the need to learn all the
important background stuff before I make some more 'hit and miss'
notes.  I echo the recent "Thanks for the encouragement!"

Peter
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Beginner's luck

jpff

 Peter>  - What is this mysterious 'zak space' specifically useful for?
 Peter>  - why use zak space rather than just ordinary global variables?

Two immediate uses -- it is easily seen by all opcodes, but more
importantly it is indexable  and so acts as a surrogate array.

==John ffitch
Send bugs reports to this list.

A MaxMSP Csound external for WinXP and MacOSX

dp51
Hi all,

I've developed a MaxMSP Csound external called dmp.csound~ (to avoid
confusion with other versions), for WindowsXP and MacOSX.  I should mention
that I haven't fully tested the windows version (just ported it yesterday).
You can download it at:

http://www.davixology.com/csound~.html

Installation instructions and a demo patch are included in the downloads.
If you find a bug, please email me with some details about what you were
doing when the crash occurred.  Even more helpful would be a patch and
your csd or orc/sco files.

BTW, the windows version uses a 64bit version of Csound (sorry, it's the only
one installed with the standard Csound5 installer), so its performance
may not be acceptable if you have a slow computer.

Anyways, have fun!

Davis
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: A MaxMSP Csound external for WinXP and MacOSX

Istvan Varga
On Friday 03 March 2006 10:16, Davis Pyon wrote:

> I've developed a MaxMSP Csound external called dmp.csound~ (to avoid
> confusion with other versions), for WindowsXP and MacOSX.  I should mention
> that I haven't fully tested the windows version (just ported it yesterday).
> You can download it at:
>
> http://www.davixology.com/csound~.html

I found a possible bug in the sources: it gets the 0dBFS value after calling
csoundCreate(), and not after csoundCompile() as it should be done. Obviously,
this parameter can only be known after compiling an orchestra, so the value
will always be the default 32768.0.

> BTW, the windows version uses a 64bit version of Csound (sorry, it's the only
> one installed with the standard Csound5 installer), so its performance
> may not be acceptable if you have a slow computer.

There are 32 bit binares in the .zip package (also on SourceForge); use
csound32.def/csound32.dll and plugin libraries from csound5\plugins\.
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Beginner's luck

Michael Bechard
In a little simpler terms, it makes it easy to pass
these kind of control signals to instruments via
parameters and the like. For instance, you have an
instrument and want a control signal to control the
amplitude, but you want this to come from any number
of sources in any composition. With global variables,
you reference the global variable name and hope you
remembered to reference the same name in all the
control generators that will pass the signal to your
instrument. With zak, you read the signal from a zak
channel number passed in via a param, and therefore
it's configurable when you're writing your
i-statements. No more mucking around in your
instrument code just to change the source of your
amplitude control signal.

Michael Bechard

--- [hidden email] wrote:

> <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>  Peter>  - What is this mysterious 'zak space'
> specifically useful for?
>  Peter>  - why use zak space rather than just
> ordinary global variables?
>
> Two immediate uses -- it is easily seen by all
> opcodes, but more
> importantly it is indexable  and so acts as a
> surrogate array.
>
> ==John ffitch
> --
> Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: A MaxMSP Csound external for WinXP and MacOSX

apalomba
Hey Davis, thanks a lot for shaing this with
the community. I use max on the PC and have always
wanted a csound max external. It is great to
have one now. The demo csd works great.
Thanks again.

Anthony

--- Istvan Varga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > http://www.davixology.com/csound~.html
>
> I found a possible bug in the sources: it gets the 0dBFS value after calling
> csoundCreate(), and not after csoundCompile() as it should be done. Obviously,
> this parameter can only be known after compiling an orchestra, so the value
> will always be the default 32768.0.

Thanks, Istvan.  I've made the changes so people who have already downloaded
dmp.csound~.(tar.gz/zip) should download again.

> There are 32 bit binares in the .zip package (also on SourceForge); use
> csound32.def/csound32.dll and plugin libraries from csound5\plugins\.

dmp.csound~.(tar.gz/zip) now includes a 32bit version for WinXP.  People who
want to use this version may run into problems as the latest Csound 5 .exe installer
does not include csound32.dll or the 32bit plugins.  If you encounter problems,
see INSTALL.TXT for solutions.

Davis
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: A MaxMSP Csound external for WinXP and MacOSX

dp51
Phew!  It's good to hear that it's running on someone else's computer.
I hope it continues to work well for you.  Thanks for the feedback.

Davis

--- [hidden email] wrote:

> Hey Davis, thanks a lot for shaing this with
> the community. I use max on the PC and have always
> wanted a csound max external. It is great to
> have one now. The demo csd works great.
> Thanks again.
>
> Anthony

abhunkin
Michael Gogins has indicated that he will release a Windows installer for
32-bit Csound5 in another week.

Art Hunkins