Any minGW experts?

jpff
I have minGW installed on an XP machine.  The next stage is a package
that requires autoconf and automake.  I have d/loaded these packages
and they seem to require wget to install.  So I d/load the wget
package but that needs the wget program to install.....

How does one get out of this?  I tried various other mechanisms and
they all seem to lead to brick walls, like no autom4te.  Seems that
one has to install and build perl?  What have I misunderstood?

==John ffitch

Re: Any minGW experts?

Michael Gogins
Install MinGW (all current packages: gcc, g++, runtimne, win32api, binutils). Install MSYS. Install MSYS Developer Tool Kit (I think that's what contains autotools, perl, etc.). Install gdb. Install make.

Or, in other words, go to

http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml#hdr1

and download and install ALL current packages.

DON'T try to install autotools from other sources!...

Hope this helps,
Mike

Re: Any minGW experts?

Steven Yi
I think just to clarify from my experience with compiling CS5 on XP, I
installed the mingw and msys packages on the URL Michael gave:

MinGW-4.1.0.exe
MSYS-1.0.10.exe

Those two alone should contain all the tools for compiling and
building necessary(minus Python, SConstruct, and libraries like
libsndfile, etc.)

Hope that helps!

steven

On 6/30/05, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Install MinGW (all current packages: gcc, g++, runtimne, win32api, binutils). Install MSYS. Install MSYS Developer Tool Kit (I think that's what contains autotools, perl, etc.). Install gdb. Install make.
>
> Or, in other words, go to
>
> http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml#hdr1
>
> and download and install ALL current packages.
>
> DON'T try to install autotools from other sources!...
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mike

Re: Any minGW experts?

Hum..   that is what I was attempting to do.  I cannot find HOW to
install the packages.  I have tried the obvious things but that does
not work.  Looks like it is time to hand over Windows development to
others.

The issue in point is that liblo has code for using winsock, but it
seems to require CYGWIN and so far I have not managed to get the minGW
system to build it.  Lots of odd things like the call to ar to create
the library not having any arguments, and it failing to find the
winsock.dll and so gives link errors.
==John ffitch

Re: Any minGW experts?

I installed MinGW and MSYS but do not have autoconf, automake and
other necessary tools.  It does not include <pthreads.h> either.
==John ffitch

Re: Any minGW experts?

Create a mingw dir, unzip all mingw packages into it.

Install MSYS. It asks where the mingw dir is.

Install the MSYS developer package.

To use the environment, run the msys.bat script, it opens a BASH shell.

I thought all this was documented on the MinGW site...?

Re: Any minGW experts?

autoconf, automake, etc are in the MSYS developer tool kit which you should install. I definitely can run ./configure for many packages on my Windows XP laptop, though it tends to fail for packages that depend on UNIX or Linux-specific libraries such as OSS.

Pthreads for Windows is available from a number of sources.

I installed MinGW and MSYS but do not have autoconf, automake and
other necessary tools.  It does not include <pthreads.h> either.
==John ffitch

Re: Any minGW experts?

Hi John,

After installing MinGW and MSYS, there should be an icon to start MSYS
shell.  This is required to use autoconf, automake, etc.  Those tools
will not be available from a dos command prompt.  (I am assuming this
is what is the issue; if not, please ignore the above.)

> I installed MinGW and MSYS but do not have autoconf, automake and
> other necessary tools.  It does not include <pthreads.h> either.
> ==John ffitch

Re: Any minGW experts?

Iain Duncan
> Create a mingw dir, unzip all mingw packages into it.
>
> Install MSYS. It asks where the mingw dir is.
>
> Install the MSYS developer package.
>
> To use the environment, run the msys.bat script, it opens a BASH shell.
>
> I thought all this was documented on the MinGW site...?

Well, kinda. It's an example of extremely bad technical writing ... I
remember the first time I read it I was going "huh? what the heck am I
supposed to install first, msys or mingw? and what goes where?"

I'll be bored at work today and I think I'll try building csound5 again
on windows. I managed ages ago on a different system. If I manage again
I will post all the steps from an empty WinXP on onwards. =)

Iain