Another glibc question

Iain Duncan
Ok, it just occured to me, does Csound5 actually *need* glibc-2.3 or is
the problem just that I compiled it on a glibc-2.3 system? If I compile
a binary of csound5 on a glibc-2.2 system would that a) work, and b)
enable me to run a copied binary on another glibc-2.2 system? ( Clearly
I am way out of my depth here. ) The reason I ask without trying is
because compiling csound5 on my buddies old laptop with glibc-2.2 and no
decent networking will be a real pain, but I'll do it if it's easier
than figuring out to rebuild dyne:bolic with glibc-2.3.

Thanks
Iain

Re: Another glibc question

Istvan Varga
Iain Duncan wrote:

> Ok, it just occured to me, does Csound5 actually *need* glibc-2.3 or is
> the problem just that I compiled it on a glibc-2.3 system? If I compile
> a binary of csound5 on a glibc-2.2 system would that a) work, and b)
> enable me to run a copied binary on another glibc-2.2 system? ( Clearly
> I am way out of my depth here. )

I think it should compile. Of course, you will need all the usual tools
on the glibc 2.2 system, as well as the required libraries (compiled to
use glibc 2.2).

Re: Another glibc question

Iain Duncan
>> Ok, it just occured to me, does Csound5 actually *need* glibc-2.3 or
>> is the problem just that I compiled it on a glibc-2.3 system? If I
>> compile a binary of csound5 on a glibc-2.2 system would that a) work,
>> and b) enable me to run a copied binary on another glibc-2.2 system? (
>> Clearly I am way out of my depth here. )
>

> I think it should compile. Of course, you will need all the usual tools
> on the glibc 2.2 system, as well as the required libraries (compiled to
> use glibc 2.2).

Thanks, I'll try it. Alternatively, is it possible to have csound run
linking dynamically with a second copy of glibc? Could I put a glibc-2.3
library in the csound directory, and somehow force csound to run using
that one and not the main system, and if so, would that work ok?

Thanks for all the input
Iain