Quantcast

Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

12

Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

Jacob Joaquin
I'm happy to announce the first release of Csoundo, a Processing
library for Csound.

Csoundo Repository @ Github
http://github.com/jacobjoaquin/Csoundo

Download Csoundo
http://github.com/jacobjoaquin/Csoundo/downloads

This has only been tested on OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard. In fact,
it ships with the OS X csnd.jar, so it might work for anyone on OS X
out of the box, once you install Csoundo into your Processing
sketchbook 'libraries' folder (see the README for details).  For other
platforms, you'll need to replace the csnd.jar file with your system's
csnd.jar file. Not sure if it'll work on Windows or Linux, but I'd
love to hear either way.

It comes with three examples: A mouse theremin, f-table to graph and a
visualization experiment.

Thanks to everyone who has been helping me out here on the list and
over private email. I will definitely include a 'special thanks' in
future releases.

Best,
Jake
--
The Csound Blog - http://csound.noisepages.com/
Slipmat - http://slipmat.noisepages.com/

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599

Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

rory walsh
Thanks Jakob, I look forward to testing this on windows and Linux.
Isn't it a Csound library for Processing however, rather than the
other way around as you've described it? Either way I'll let you know
how I get on.

Rory.

To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

rory walsh
Hi Jacob, and apologies for misspelling your name earlier! I've tried
to get this working on Linux but I'm getting an error saying:

csoundo 0.1.1 by Jacob Joaquin http://csoundblog.com
_jcsound native code library failed to load.
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no _jcsound in java.library.path

I just rebuilt Csound with buildJavaWrapper so I have my own csnd.jar
file which I then used to replace the one that you had in your zip
file. Anything else I should be doing? I have my OPCODEDIR set and it
contains lib_jcsound.so so I don't know why Processing isn't seeing
it. I then tried adding my csound directory to the java.library.path
using the following command:

rory@d630:~/SourceCode/csound/csound5$ java -D
java.library.path=/home/rory/SourceCode/csound/csound5

Which results in this:

java/library/path=/home/rory/SourceCode/csound/csound5
java.library.path=.home.rory.SourceCode.csound.csound5
Could not find the main class:
java.library.path=/home/rory/SourceCode/csound/csound5.  Program will
exit.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Rory.

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

Felipe Sateler
On 09/08/10 11:10, Rory Walsh wrote:
> Hi Jacob, and apologies for misspelling your name earlier! I've tried
> to get this working on Linux but I'm getting an error saying:
>
> csoundo 0.1.1 by Jacob Joaquin http://csoundblog.com
> _jcsound native code library failed to load.
> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no _jcsound in java.library.path

You need to install lib_jcsound.so somewhere in your java JNI search path.

> I just rebuilt Csound with buildJavaWrapper so I have my own csnd.jar
> file which I then used to replace the one that you had in your zip
> file. Anything else I should be doing? I have my OPCODEDIR set and it
> contains lib_jcsound.so so I don't know why Processing isn't seeing
> it. I then tried adding my csound directory to the java.library.path
> using the following command:
>
> rory@d630:~/SourceCode/csound/csound5$ java -D
> java.library.path=/home/rory/SourceCode/csound/csound5
I believe (not sure) that with that command you actually wiped out the
entire java search path and replaced it with your csound build dir,
instead of just adding the dir. Thus, no wonder a java program will not
work. Try installing lib_jcsound.so somewhere in the java JNI search
path (in debian [and derivatives, I think], this can be /usr/lib/jni)
instead.

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler

Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

rory walsh
Works fine on windows. Still no luck on linux however..

On 9 August 2010 01:58, Jacob Joaquin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm happy to announce the first release of Csoundo, a Processing
> library for Csound.
>
> Csoundo Repository @ Github
> http://github.com/jacobjoaquin/Csoundo
>
> Download Csoundo
> http://github.com/jacobjoaquin/Csoundo/downloads
>
> This has only been tested on OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard. In fact,
> it ships with the OS X csnd.jar, so it might work for anyone on OS X
> out of the box, once you install Csoundo into your Processing
> sketchbook 'libraries' folder (see the README for details).  For other
> platforms, you'll need to replace the csnd.jar file with your system's
> csnd.jar file. Not sure if it'll work on Windows or Linux, but I'd
> love to hear either way.
>
> It comes with three examples: A mouse theremin, f-table to graph and a
> visualization experiment.
>
> Thanks to everyone who has been helping me out here on the list and
> over private email. I will definitely include a 'special thanks' in
> future releases.
>
> Best,
> Jake
> --
> The Csound Blog - http://csound.noisepages.com/
> Slipmat - http://slipmat.noisepages.com/
>

> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

Michael Gogins-2
Might have to do with ".pyd" required for Python extension modules on
Windows and ".so" on Linux.

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Works fine on windows. Still no luck on linux however..
>
> On 9 August 2010 01:58, Jacob Joaquin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm happy to announce the first release of Csoundo, a Processing
>> library for Csound.
>>
>> Csoundo Repository @ Github
>> http://github.com/jacobjoaquin/Csoundo
>>
>> Download Csoundo
>> http://github.com/jacobjoaquin/Csoundo/downloads
>>
>> This has only been tested on OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard. In fact,
>> it ships with the OS X csnd.jar, so it might work for anyone on OS X
>> out of the box, once you install Csoundo into your Processing
>> sketchbook 'libraries' folder (see the README for details).  For other
>> platforms, you'll need to replace the csnd.jar file with your system's
>> csnd.jar file. Not sure if it'll work on Windows or Linux, but I'd
>> love to hear either way.
>>
>> It comes with three examples: A mouse theremin, f-table to graph and a
>> visualization experiment.
>>
>> Thanks to everyone who has been helping me out here on the list and
>> over private email. I will definitely include a 'special thanks' in
>> future releases.
>>
>> Best,
>> Jake
>> --
>> The Csound Blog - http://csound.noisepages.com/
>> Slipmat - http://slipmat.noisepages.com/
>>

>> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>>            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
>>

> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
> To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Irreducible Productions
http://www.michael-gogins.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: Re: Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

rory walsh
Why would Python have anything to do with the java wrappers?

On 9 August 2010 20:04, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Might have to do with ".pyd" required for Python extension modules on
> Windows and ".so" on Linux.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Works fine on windows. Still no luck on linux however..
>>
>> On 9 August 2010 01:58, Jacob Joaquin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm happy to announce the first release of Csoundo, a Processing
>>> library for Csound.
>>>
>>> Csoundo Repository @ Github
>>> http://github.com/jacobjoaquin/Csoundo
>>>
>>> Download Csoundo
>>> http://github.com/jacobjoaquin/Csoundo/downloads
>>>
>>> This has only been tested on OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard. In fact,
>>> it ships with the OS X csnd.jar, so it might work for anyone on OS X
>>> out of the box, once you install Csoundo into your Processing
>>> sketchbook 'libraries' folder (see the README for details).  For other
>>> platforms, you'll need to replace the csnd.jar file with your system's
>>> csnd.jar file. Not sure if it'll work on Windows or Linux, but I'd
>>> love to hear either way.
>>>
>>> It comes with three examples: A mouse theremin, f-table to graph and a
>>> visualization experiment.
>>>
>>> Thanks to everyone who has been helping me out here on the list and
>>> over private email. I will definitely include a 'special thanks' in
>>> future releases.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Jake
>>> --
>>> The Csound Blog - http://csound.noisepages.com/
>>> Slipmat - http://slipmat.noisepages.com/
>>>

>>> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>>>            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
>>>

>> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>>            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
>> To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"
>>

> --
> Michael Gogins
> Irreducible Productions
> http://www.michael-gogins.com
> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>

> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
> To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

Michael Gogins-2
Duuuh.... but it still could be a library loading or naming problem...

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why would Python have anything to do with the java wrappers?
>
> On 9 August 2010 20:04, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Might have to do with ".pyd" required for Python extension modules on
>> Windows and ".so" on Linux.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mike
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Works fine on windows. Still no luck on linux however..

>>> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>>>            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
>>> To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"
>>>

>> --
>> Michael Gogins
>> Irreducible Productions
>> http://www.michael-gogins.com
>> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>>

>> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>>            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
>> To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"
>>

> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
> To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Irreducible Productions
http://www.michael-gogins.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

Victor.Lazzarini
Maybe it's there but it can't find one of its dependencies (ie.
libcsnd.so or libcsound.so). Maybe a case of running ldconfig?

On 9 Aug 2010, at 16:10, Rory Walsh wrote:

> _jcsound native code library failed to load.

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: Re: Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

Michael Gogins-2
Yes, of course run ldconfig or run ldd on the extension library or
pldd on the program.

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Works fine on windows. Still no luck on linux however..

That's certainly good news about windows. Did you use the windows
release at sourceforge? Or did you compile it yourself?

Sorry, I can't really help with the linux problem at the moment. I may
have to start running a virtual copy so that I can appropriately deal
with issues like these. Should probably invest into a copy of windows,
too.

Best,
Jake
--
The Csound Blog - http://csound.noisepages.com/
Slipmat - http://slipmat.noisepages.com/

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599

Re: Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

Jacob Joaquin
And by the way, I really appreciate the extra work you guys are doing,
testing it out, trying to get it to run on other platforms, asking and
answering questions, etc...

Thank you!
Jake

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

RE: Re: Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

Marc D. Demers
Just my two cents... It works for me too on Windows (XP Pro, Vista Ultimate et Seven Ultimate). I used the Csound binairies (floating version) from Sourceforge.

Marc

To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: Re: Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

Dave Phillips
Jacob Joaquin wrote:
> And by the way, I really appreciate the extra work you guys are doing,
> testing it out, trying to get it to run on other platforms, asking and
> answering questions, etc...

A note: The Linux version of AVSynthesis also requires csnd.jar and
lib_jcsound.so. It expects to find the jar file in CLASSPATH and the lib
in $HOME/AVSynthesis/lib. The paths to both of those components are
declared in the launch command :

    java -Xmx1024m -Djava.library.path=./lib -cp
AVSynthesis.jar:./lib/*  org.avs.AVSynthesis

Perhaps a similar command could be used for your library ?

On Linux, lib_jcsound.so is installed to /usr/local/lib, csnd.jar to
/usr/local/lib/csound/java (when I build Csound myself).

I haven't got into Processing yet, so give me some time to get it set
up, then I'll look into the library problem.

Best,

dp

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

rory walsh
Still no luck here. I've tried modifying Dave's command line but I
still get errors. I've also tried running ldconfig but that didn't
help either. My main issue is that I can seem to add the needed paths
to my csound java/lib files to the java.library.path, as I can't do
this Processing is giving out saying that

_jcsound native code library failed to load.
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no _jcsound in java.library.path

Obviously I need to set the path up properly. I've tried every
combination of what Dave provided and what I could find on the net,
still no joy.

On 9 August 2010 21:12, Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jacob Joaquin wrote:
>>
>> And by the way, I really appreciate the extra work you guys are doing,
>> testing it out, trying to get it to run on other platforms, asking and
>> answering questions, etc...
>>

> A note: The Linux version of AVSynthesis also requires csnd.jar and
> lib_jcsound.so. It expects to find the jar file in CLASSPATH and the lib in
> $HOME/AVSynthesis/lib. The paths to both of those components are declared in
> the launch command :
>
>   java -Xmx1024m -Djava.library.path=./lib -cp AVSynthesis.jar:./lib/*
>  org.avs.AVSynthesis
>
> Perhaps a similar command could be used for your library ?
>
> On Linux, lib_jcsound.so is installed to /usr/local/lib, csnd.jar to
> /usr/local/lib/csound/java (when I build Csound myself).
>
> I haven't got into Processing yet, so give me some time to get it set up,
> then I'll look into the library problem.
>
> Best,
>
> dp
>

> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>           https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
> To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe
> csound"

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

rory walsh
One more thing. When I try something as simple as:

 java -Djava.library.path=/usr/local/lib/csound/java/

I get a list of usage commands. Surely this should not call usage
commands? From what I've seen elsewhere this should be a perfectly
valid command..

On 9 August 2010 23:06, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Still no luck here. I've tried modifying Dave's command line but I
> still get errors. I've also tried running ldconfig but

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

Felipe Sateler
On 09/08/10 18:14, Rory Walsh wrote:
> One more thing. When I try something as simple as:
>
>  java -Djava.library.path=/usr/local/lib/csound/java/
>
> I get a list of usage commands. Surely this should not call usage
> commands? From what I've seen elsewhere this should be a perfectly
> valid command..

I believe it is not. Java is a command that runs java programs. In the
above command, you have not run any programs, thus java tells you how to
invoke it.

Have you tried Michael's suggestion (invoking ldd on lib_jcsound.so)? If
the command says it cannot find libcsnd or libcsound, try prepending
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/csound to the invocation.

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

Dave Phillips
Felipe Sateler wrote:

> On 09/08/10 18:14, Rory Walsh wrote:
>
>> One more thing. When I try something as simple as:
>>
>>  java -Djava.library.path=/usr/local/lib/csound/java/
>>
>> I get a list of usage commands. Surely this should not call usage
>> commands? From what I've seen elsewhere this should be a perfectly
>> valid command..
>>

> I believe it is not. Java is a command that runs java programs. In the
> above command, you have not run any programs, thus java tells you how to
> invoke it.

Felipe is correct. My bad, I should have posted the complete launch
command for AVS :

    java -Xmx1024m -Djava.library.path=./lib -cp
AVSynthesis.jar:./lib/*  org.avs.AVSynthesis

Best,

dp

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

rory walsh
On the contrary Dave, you did post the complete command line. I just
wasn't quite sure what the 'org.avs.AVSynthesis' referred to. I'm just
looking through the script that launches processing now to see if I
can find out where I can add this command..

On 10 August 2010 00:51, Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Felipe Sateler wrote:
>>
>> On 09/08/10 18:14, Rory Walsh wrote:
>>

>>> One more thing. When I try something as simple as:
>>>
>>>  java -Djava.library.path=/usr/local/lib/csound/java/
>>>
>>> I get a list of usage commands. Surely this should not call usage
>>> commands? From what I've seen elsewhere this should be a perfectly
>>> valid command..
>>>

>> I believe it is not. Java is a command that runs java programs. In the
>> above command, you have not run any programs, thus java tells you how to
>> invoke it.
>>

> Felipe is correct. My bad, I should have posted the complete launch command
> for AVS :
>
>   java -Xmx1024m -Djava.library.path=./lib -cp AVSynthesis.jar:./lib/*
>  org.avs.AVSynthesis
>
> Best,
>
> dp
>

> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>           https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
> To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe
> csound"

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: Announce: Csoundo Processing Library

Enrico Francioni

hi!

I'm installing Csoundo,
but, for osx (10.4),
I can not understand the step number 3 of the installation:

3) Copy the Csoundo folder into your Processing 'libraries' folder.
To find out where your sketchbook 'libraries' is located, open
preferences in Processing.

bye

12