Quantcast

2.5.3 and JRE 1.7

Jim Aikin
I had blue 2.5.0 on my Mac (OS 10.8.5), and it was working. Tonight I thought I'd download 2.5.3. When I tried running it, it complained that it was seeing Java 1.6 and needed Java 1.7. The main blue window then opened, but it was mostly blank -- completely nonfunctional.

Strangely, this caused 2.5.0 to break in the same way. Blank window.

I have now downloaded and installed JRE 1.7. Or at least I think I have -- even after a Restart, the command "java -version" in Terminal still shows 1.6. And neither version of blue works. I still have the blank window. The top banner says, "blue 201306052037" -- it doesn't show a version number. The File menu has no "Open" command. And so forth. Total toast.

Plainly I need to do something to tweak my system so that blue will run. But what?

Re: 2.5.3 and JRE 1.7

Jim Aikin
Figuring maybe I need JDK rather than JRE, I download and install that. The good news is, Terminal now says I have Java 1.7. The bad news is, blue still doesn't run. Now its main window opens and closes immediately. Finder still thinks blue is running (and I can Force Quit), but its File menu still has no Open option, etc.

Re: 2.5.3 and JRE 1.7

Marc D. Demers
You need to make sure that Java is in your path variable (if you're on
Windows).

Marc

Figuring maybe I need JDK rather than JRE, I download and install that. The
good news is, Terminal now says I have Java 1.7. The bad news is, blue still
doesn't run. Now its main window opens and closes immediately. Finder still
thinks blue is running (and I can Force Quit), but its File menu still has
no Open option, etc.

October Webinars: Code for Performance
Explore tips for MPI, OpenMP, advanced profiling, and more. Get the most
from the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and
register >

Re: 2.5.3 and JRE 1.7

Steven Yi
Hi Jim,

This might be the bug due to application settings not getting migrated
properly.  Please try running this on the command line:

rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/blue

You will have to reconfigure blue after restarting.

If there's further problems, let me know.  I have this high on my todo
list to look into, but the past couple of weeks my time has been all
on Csound-related things. I should be back on Blue after the Csound
Conference.

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Marc Demers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You need to make sure that Java is in your path variable (if you're on
> Windows).
>
> Marc

Re: 2.5.3 and JRE 1.7

Jim Aikin
> This might be the bug due to application settings not getting migrated
> properly.  Please try running this on the command line:
>
> rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/blue

That took care of it -- thanks! 2.5.3 runs.

I have no idea whether my install of JDK 1.7 was needed, or whether I just burned 450MB of disk space, but I still have 5GB left, so I'm not going to worry about it this month....

Re: 2.5.3 and JRE 1.7

Steven Yi
Hi Jim,

To be honest, I'm not sure if the JDK install is necessary either, but
I just ran into the same issue with someone else off list and
installing the JDK seemed to have solved it.

Very glad that the application data trick worked!  I really can't wait
to get back into blue coding to fix it.

Cheers!
steven